Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Scary Dreams

I've been getting a lot of dreams lately.  I mean, I know I dream every night, but lately I've been getting some real strange and creepy ones.  I'm already a sleep talker and a teeth grinder.  Well, as of about a month ago you can add hallucinator to that list.  It all goes down something like this...

I wake up in bed and see my daughter.  I know I'm awake, I can move around, I can talk, and I can hear.  Most of the time I see Allie Cakes, but in reality it's Randsome sleeping soundly next to me.  I get this sense that something isn't right.  I mean, why isn't Cakers in her crib?  I reach out to touch her, and she feels strange.  That's when I hear Randsome's voice.

"Katie, what the heck are you doing?"
"Allie! Where is Allie?"
"She's in her crib."
This makes me frantic because I can hear my husband's voice, but I see my 16 month old staring back at me.  "No she isn't, she's right here," and I start pawing at his face, chest, arms, trying to make sense of what is going on.
"KATIE!  Allie is sleeping in her crib, you're going to wake her up!"
"Randy! I see Allie!"

At this point one of us turns on the light, Allie disappears, and I see Randy again.  I check the monitor, only to see my girl sleeping.  All is right in the world, so I go back to sleep.

Like I said, this is what usually happens.  Sometimes I throw back the sheets, sometimes I start pawing at the wall.  The one thing that has been consistent is that I see Allie.

The other night I woke up in bed, and standing to my left is a man.  He was short, had scraggly hair, he was wearing a dark coat or shirt, and he was holding something.  I couldn't see what he was holding or the features on his face, but he was coming straight for me.  Screaming, I kicked my feet out from the covers trying to connect with this guy's stomach.

The light turned on and he disappeared.  Randy scolded me for screaming so loudly (I'd be pretty freaked out if he woke up screaming, so I don't hold it against him).  After a bunch of cursing, our conversation went something like this...
"Randy, there was a man."
"Katie, no one is there."
"I've seen him before, in other dreams."
"Did you wake up Allie?  Give me the monitor."  I hand him the monitor and she's sleeping.  I'm holding my chest because my heart is pounding so hard it almost hurts.  "Just relax, you're okay," he reassures me again and again.  Then he says, "What's changed?  Why do you keep getting these dreams?"
"I don't know."
"Well, were not watching any more scary movies before bed.  Just relax."

I married a patient man.  I seriously can't imagine how freaked out I would be if he woke up screaming.  In college I went through a spell where I got night terrors.  My roommate once found me crouched in the corner of my room screaming.  She thought someone was hurting me, and even though she was scared, she busted through the door to try and help me.  (Thanks Heidi)  I'm pretty sure that my dreams are a side effect to a new medication I've been taking for headaches.  I'll be taking Advil from now on.  I'll take my chances with a GI bleed over night terrors.

Have any of you battled with headaches?  How about a scary dream you've had recently?

-Katie Lou







2 comments:

  1. Oooh. That sounds scary. I've had night terrors off and on my hole life.

    In 2003 I was living with my sister in a 2 bdrm apt. I was seriously stressed out with my job and school and overall anxiety, but I guess I wasn't conscious of it at the time. She had claimed every morning for about a week that I was walking and talking in my sleep. I new I had felt more tired than usual those mornings, but laughed it off.

    Then one day I went to see the movie Mystic River with my friends. That night I had a nightmare about the Tobin Bridge featured in the movie. The dream was that I was tryng to walk across the bridge. When I got to about the middle, the bridge started raising for boats to cross. I lost control, fell backwards & started somersaulting violently down the bridge as it raised higher and higher.

    All of the sudden I woke up on the floor against the wall with a splitting headache. My sister ran in to the room asking "What the $#%^^ is going on?!" Confused and angry I said "Nothing. Go back to bed." She didn't believe me, and helped me up. Then we noticed the wall where I had landed. My head and body made a huge hole in the wall there. So I guess I acted out physically what was playing in my mind.

    Soooo Freaky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, once I woke up because ran into the wall! I started laughing immediately because it was so ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete