Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Lloyd Christmas

Happy post-holidays.  Since I didn't update What's New during the month of December I wanted to share something random from my Christmas season.  I have this friend, who years ago, I nicknamed "Connie".  She brings out the dryness in my very sarcastic sense of humor.  We don't see each other often, so instead we email every once in a while to check in.  The following is an excerpt from a pre-Christmas email I sent to her.  It's a response to her question asking if Cakes is old enough to know who Santa is.  

Cakers does not understand the concept of Santa.  We do have an Elf On A Shelf named Lloyd Christmas.  Randsome and I hide him on one another.  We tell her Lloyd is watching her when she throws her food on the floor, but she doesn't get it.  Last night I was picking peas out of the Christmas tree.  Maybe she's protesting because I named the elf on the shelf and technically the child is actually supposed to name it.  "Oh well Cakers, Mommy's better at naming toys than you."  I named her giraffe, Henry, and she named her stuffed cat, Kitty.  Amateur.

After rereading the email 'I got to thinking.'  Am I a weirdo because I name all my kid's toys?  It bothers me that until she can talk, her toys will remain nameless.  Is it selfish of me to take away the future opportunity of allowing Cakers to flex her imagination muscles?  I don't care about most of the toys, but Henry (her giraffe) has been with her since she was a newborn.  I didn't want him to remain nameless for the first two or three years of life.  How sad and lonely is that?  As for the Elf on the Shelf, I wanted to give him a funny name.  I admit I was scared she'd grow up and give him a cliche, Christmasy name like Snowball or Happy, so I pulled inspiration from one of the best movies of all time: Dumb and Dumber.  I mean come on, the name Lloyd is funny.  Don't ask me why, it just is.  Maybe it's the two L's.  Another reason I chose the name is because Randsome and I are constantly dropping movie and t.v. quotes.  What I hope happens, is for someday Cakers to tell her Kindergarten teacher her elf's name, and for that person to get the movie reference.  The teacher will instantly think Cakers has a fantastic sense of humor.  Well, if the teacher is anything like me she will.

No comments:

Post a Comment